Saturday, October 20, 2007

Things to do better next time... Things I did well...

Areas to improve...
(notes so I don't forget - may help you in your next race too!)
- Don't try too hard or overthink things on race day - enjoy the race, trust my training, nutrition and hydration plan - NOTHING new for the race
- Train in conditions that simulate the race, then race the same as I train - don't over compensate for conditions
- Monitor fluid intake better - too much fluid dilutes nutrition and makes me weak
- Keep it simple - stop over-thinking things, simply visualize the race from start to finish keeping it as simple as possible
- Get better at open water swimming
- Fix the swim goggle issue
- Get in the water much earlier - don't wait until 5 minutes before race starts to get in the water (10 minutes at least)
- Stay focused in transitions, dump the transition bag on the ground so nothing is forgotten
- Run the last 6 miles as hard as I can - don't wait until the last 3 miles
- Do some practice rides on tire pressure identical to race day tire pressure
- Check spare tubes before the race
- Smooth shifting during the race, expecially at the start when things are exciting
- Stretch my back when applying sun tan lotion
- Ice in the hat and shorts work good on hot days - not required at every water station
- If I'm staying cool, no need to drink so much
- Don't be afraid to skip water stations on both bike and run
- Keep better track of electrolyte intake
- Pay attention to the morning temperatures - limit fluid intake on the bike for the first 15 minutes or so, just a few sips until sweating begins
- take 2-3 electrolytes right away on bike leg
- Remove deraileur when transporting bike
- Wrong race mottos "Drink early and often" and "Stay Cool"
- Instead of "Are you doing your best", stick with "Catch the next age grouper" - worked in Florida!
- More practice in windy conditions - head down, ass up
- Open gels and bars on the bike before the swim
- A practice swim, followed by a medium (40 mile) bike would have let me know if the salt water was going to affect my hydration
- More mid-day naps leading up to the race

Things I did well...
- Swam straight
- Started the run conservatively and built from there
- Getting off the bike was smooth
- Bike start was smooth
- Didn't loose focus even when I felt like crap
- Ran the entire marathon except when absolutely necessary - mile 5 porta john and puke stop at mile 20
- Ice in the hat and ice in the shorts was inspired - remembering a hat is a good start
- Vaseline on the feet was a great move (no blisters even though I ran most of the race with wet feet)
- Closed my eyes when my goggles leaked
- Practice swims were a smart move
-Family vacation was great
- Messages by Jan
- Stayed calm
- Finished strong

No comments: