Monday, October 15, 2007

Kona - Race Day - Short Version

There's a long version and short version to every story, so I'll start with the short version and you can go to the long version if you want the nitty gritty...

Short version:
The Kona Ironman lived up to it's reputation as being one of the most gruelling races on the planet, and it was a fantastic, satisfying experience. Throughout the day I tackled every challenge with a good result. I was constantly amazed by the caliber of athletes on the course throughout the day, and truly felt privileged to race with them.

I finished in 11:23, with a swim time that I expected (1:19), a bike time at the slow side of what I expected (over 6 hours), and a run time a bit better than expected (3:43). I felt really good in the last 3 miles of the race (so good, in fact, that I didn't slow down through the finishing chute to enjoy the moment).

Having my wife, Sena, and my daughters Erika and Rachel at the race and supporting me every step of the way leading up to the race was incredible. Having my mother and sister join me in Hawaii, and my other siblings and friends supporting me from 'the mainland' really meant a lot to me.

No comments: