Saturday, October 13, 2007

Kona Day 7

Tomorrow is the big day. Sitting here on the lanai with the waves crashing against the rocks less then 20 yards from me, I can see the second half of the swim course. They have placed the big orange buoys what looks to be 300-400 meters apart for the length of the course. It kind of freaks me out when I look at the distance from the shore.

It was another beautiful day today here in Kona - I hope the weather is the same for tomorrow, with a mid afternoon cloud cover.

Today was spent preparing my bike and race bags, and just chilling out and carbo loading.

Bike check-in was a unique experience. You get a personal guide to show you around the entire transition area and ask all the questions you want. They don't let you go back to your transition bags after you have hung them on the rack, which is different from other Ironman races I've done. Of course I didn't know that and didn't put my prescription sun glasses in my swim-to-bike transition bag. Fortunately I'll be able to leave the sunglasses with my bike tomorrow morning.

Went out to dinner with the family - I have been eating potatoes and spaghetti all day, so I just joined them and picked at their ahi tuna and french fries.

My mood keeps shifting from anxiety, to excited and race ready, to totally relaxed. Writing the blog is kind of therapeutic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did it!!! Congratulations! Looked like a nice consistent effort. Can't wait to hear the stories. Great job!

Anonymous said...

We got the news this morning -- fantastic! You did it! Congratulations on an incredible job, well-done! (I'm watching for updates eagerly . . . )